Français

The lineage of Authon, whose castellany is attested from the 12th century onwards, asserts itself during the Middle Ages as one of the most influential families of Saintonge. The seigneurial residence was built in 1607 by Seguin d'Authon, adviser to the king and seneschal of Saintonge, at a time when the d'Authon family was at the height of its power, its authority extending as far as the island of Oléron. The castle is built on a terrace surrounded by a moat supplied with water by a diversion of the river Dandelot. It has undergone numerous destructions and restorations and it is Marcelin Normand d'Authon who is at the origin of the most striking transformations. The Graveline tower and the entrance door to the seigneurial dwelling were included in the Supplementary Inventory of Historic Monuments in 1972. The surroundings of the castle and the Guignebourg mill were then classified by the Ministry of the Environment in 1993. Visits : inside: 16th century tower, old car shed outside : English park, French courtyard, rose garden, vegetable garden


Facilities & services

Parking

Opening periods

Spring Summer Autumn

Rates & payment methods

- Adultfrom 5 €
Cash